Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Comment on Hemmings Find of the Day – 1992 Dodge Ram W-250 pickup by geomechs

I worked on a lot of identical twins to this one. When Dodge started putting Cummins engines in their trucks the whole line developed a whole new energy. It seemed like within a couple of years, EVERYbody had one (Well, I didn’t but I sure worked on lots of them). That engine was about as close to indestructible as you could get although I had several customers with the ’94 and up models who could melt the last two pistons down. The ones with the VE type injection pumps couldn’t turn them up high enough to wreck the engines but the inlines could. I’ve heard a lot of people talk about turning these up to 400 hp and I sure won’t argue with them except that I know what goes on inside them and the cam plate and rollers disintegrated 150 hp before that. Change the gearcase and install an inline pump and you’ve got a real puller. Whoever gets this truck is going to have a good time with it. Enjoy…